Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cat Losing Weight Even Thought He's Eating

Question:

Our cat is one of 2 cats, and 2 dogs. He was a bit of a puffy cat and very healthy. Of late, he has lost a lot of weight [bony], and will eat like a glutton. After this he will throw it up. I have been giving him small amounts more often which works. I also gave him a whey protein powder mixed with milk to help build him up again.

I had given him some "hairball eliminator" in a tube thinking he had a hairball blockage or something of this sort. No spitting-up any hairballs. He did end up with diarrhea so I gave less. His stool is now normal again, but he is still thin. The last two weeks he has stopped using the litter box and is pooping wherever the mood arises. He did the same urinating. He has urinated in the box, but still poops anywhere.

When I took him to the box the other day he started to nibble at the cat litter, so I immediately took him away! What is going on with this old guy?? His name is "Dopey" and it is becoming quite appropriate. I am unsure what to do for him and as I live on a disability allowance... funds are very very limited. PLEASE HELP ME.

My appreciation,
Brenda

Answer:

Brenda,
I am so sorry to hear that your kitty is having problems. The age and signs are very suggestive of some sort of metabolic problem, such as diabetes or hyperthyroidism. The weight loss sounds like you are dealing with something much worse than a behavior problem. In order to diagnose the condition and find a remedy, your veterinarian will probably have to run blood tests. I know that this can become quite expensive, but I know of no other way to diagnose a medical condition so that it can be treated.

Good luck to you and your kitty!
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment