Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chihuahua with Tear Stains and Itchy Bald Spot

Question:

My long hair chihuahua has developed terrible tear stains over the last couple months. This has ever been a problem before. Is it just because of age that he is now developing this? What can I use on his face to clean them off and prevent them? I usually use the grooming wet wipes on his face but they are not working on the tear stains. And he has also developed terrible dry skin, he is constantly itching and has started to develop a bald spot on his back side. I'm sure its not mange because he itches at the same spot and no where else. I'm also sure because I had a cat that had this same problem but the vet never told us what to do for it. What can I use on him to help this so that he's not itching all the time?

- Jessica

Answers:

Jessica,
I am sorry that you are having problems with your little chihuahua. Tear stains are very common in dogs and can be a hard problem to solve. I would have your veterinarian look at him to rule out an eye infection.

If he is chewing on his rear end, he is most likely allergic to fleas. This is generally the easiest allergy to deal with because the fleas can be controlled. It is also confusing to owners because they will usually not see any fleas, just the resulting allergic reaction. The reaction to the flea saliva can be so severe that they will immediately go after the flea and eat it and then chew a "hotspot" in a matter of an hour or so. He needs to be on a high quality senior diet, preferably labeled for skin problems with extra fatty acids.

Good luck to you and your Pooch!
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment