Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Yorkie Scratching After Bath

Question:

I was wondering why suddenly my yorkie started scratching really hard after I give him a bath? I don't know if I rinse to much or the shampoo is bad, or if it's our water. We have well water. He is clean as a whistle, no fleas etc. He isn't losing large amts of hair... so i really don't understand. Could it be a vitamin thing?

Thank you for your time,
Debra

Answers:

Debra,
Yorkies do tend to have sensitive skin. You did not mention what type of shampoo you are using, but if this consistently occurs after a bath and he does not have any other skin problems it is likely that he is sensitive to the type of shampoo you are using. I would try a soapless or other hypoallergenic shampoo. The best ones should be available from your veterinarian and I would expect to pay more for them, just as you would if you required a special shampoo.

Good luck!
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment