Tuesday, November 17, 2009

12 Year Old Rott/Chow Limping

Question

I have a 12 year old Rott/Chow who is having a hard time getting around. She walks like her right back leg is bothering her, but she doesn't fuss or complain about it. She is getting to where she doesn't seem to see as well, her eyes are pale. My vet says this is normal. Is there anything I can 
do or give her for her leg or her eyes? I have been giving her glucosomine that's in a tube and I apply it to her legs because she is always licking them, she doesn't like dirty feet. My dog-Lazy Ann is a house dog.

Thank you for any help that you can do.

Terry

Answer

There are several very good anti-inflammatories available for dogs. I believe that as pet owners we are responsible for keeping our pets out of pain as they get older. Dogs will not "fuss or complain" like a human would. They have to be in acute, severe pain before they vocalize. Limping 
is your sign that she is hurting. Ask your vet to prescribe something for pain for her as soon as possible. X-rays of the hips and knees are very likely warranted, as well.



Good luck to you!

Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment