Monday, November 16, 2009

Great Dane Puppy Losing Hair

Question

I have a Great Dane puppy and he's losing his hair, only on his face. What should I do about it? And he looks like he has dandruff. He is an outside dog. Is that what is causing the problem? I have 4 other dogs. They don't have any hair loss. Just Duke. Should I keep him on adult food or change it to puppy food? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Very concerned pet owner

Answer

Dear Pet Owner,
Your puppy may have a type of mange that Great Danes are susceptible to. He needs to be checked by your veterinarian. The type of problem that it sounds like Duke has is only a puppy condition, and is not contagious to the other dogs But he needs to be seen and treated so it does not lead to further serious conditions. He can eat adult food at this point, as long as it is good quality dog food-not generic store brands.

Dr. Baeyens

No comments:

Post a Comment