Monday, November 16, 2009

German Shepherd Has Reaction to Allergy Meds

Question

Good morning,
I have a full blooded white german shepherd. She is 8 1/2 yrs old and has been suffering with an ear infeaction. I have taken her to the doctor. I have cleaned her ear out as much as I could. I want to find something natural to try to help her. The one vet told me to give her allergy meds to dry it up. She had a reaction that scared me. It was almost like a small stroke.

Answer

Dear Pet Owner,
Ear infections can be very frustrating to treat and keep cleared up. German Shepherds are one of the breeds that have a lot of ear problems. A culture may need to be done to see what kind of bacteria is causing this infection. Sometimes a yeast or fungal infection can also be involved. There are not any good "natural" products out there to help with ear infections. If keeping the ear clean is not helping then you need to visit your veterinarian again. Allergies can also contribute to ear infections, and again since she had a problem with medication do not give any more medication without seeing your veterinarian.

Dr. Baeyens

No comments:

Post a Comment