Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Therapy for Poodle with ACL Surgery

Question

My 18 month old standard poodle had ACL surgery 3 weeks ago. He had 6 laser treatments (two a week) for three weeks. Can you give me advice as to therapy that I could do to rehabilitate him faster.

My vet said he is extremely healthy and has great bones and hips, freak accident, but I want him to be well and continue his athletic lifestyle.

I am considering putting him on a raw meat and veggie diet, I am apprehensive about all the meds after reading about how dangerous they can be by holistic vets.

Please advise,
Thanks so much,
Gail

Answer

Gail,
I am sorry to hear that your dog had to have surgery at such a young age. Hopefully his recovery
will be speedy and uneventful. You might want to talk to your vet about a glucosamine supplement to help to decrease the amount of arthritis that could form in that knee. I would also continue to give the anti-inflammatories that your vet has prescribed, as directed. The most important consideration regarding his diet is that he not be allowed to gain excessive weight.

Swimming is a low-impact way to exercise your pooch, but I would not begin any form of exercise until you clear it with the doctor that performed the surgery!

Good luck to you and your pup!
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment