Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Maltese Puppy in Sugar Shock

Question

Dear Dr. Jennen,
My 10 week old maltese puppy went through "sugar shock" yesterday. (my vet didn't tell me I had to feed her more then 2 times a day). I called the emergency vet and they told me to do the corn syrup thing on her gums and roof of her mouth and to log into a terrific website, Sharminspoodles.com/TeacupCare/html....Well it was very imformative and helped me out extremely. She responded after 15 minutes after giving her the corn syrup and then she was able to eat. She was still out of it for the next 8 hrs and then POW she was back on her feet again! My question to you is do I continue the corn syrup and for how long. I do not want my puppy to go through that again.



Sincerely, 

Missy's Mom, Margie

Answer

Margie,
I am sorry that you went through such an awful experience with your new puppy. It would be much better to feed your puppy small meals throughout the day rather than giving her the syrup. If she shows signs of low blood sugar again, you should give her the syrup every 10 minutes or so until she responds.

Good luck to you!
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment