Monday, November 16, 2009

Older Rescued Poodle with Severe Allergies

Question

Hi, I rescued a poodle almost 3 years ago. She was found wandering the streets. At first, it was thought that she was lame, but it turned out that she had been so neglected, her hair was all matted and knotted between her legs. She was obviously abused. She has a terrible allergy to what, we don't know. My vet gave her on steroids, etc. to no avail. She itches all the time and chews at herself. The smell is unbearable when she does this. Her teeth, which I brush often, are rotted but they can't be removed because of her age (unknown, but they're sure she's very old). I've used Head and Shoulders and every medicated dog shampoo you can think of. I even watch her diet. Her skin is flaky and parts of it by her belly looks like elephant skin. I use a conditioner. Do you have any suggestions to help this poor little girl? She is the sweetest, most loveable pet I have ever had. She is now deaf and blind, but gets around the house just fine and her little tail is always wagging. Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Answer

Dear Pet Owner,
She needs to see a veterinarian. If your vet did not help and could only suggest steroids find another vet. If her teeth are infected they need to be taken care of. There are protocols that can be followed for older dogs to do this.

Dr. Baeyens

No comments:

Post a Comment