Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Feeding a Dog with UTIs Cranberries and Blueberries

Question

My Miniature Dachshund is struggling with UTI. We have had lots of tests and meds. I have switched her to moist food and taken away dry treats. Is it safe to give her cranberries and blueberries? I want to make her some treats with these ingredients, if it is safe. Thanks

Answer

I am so sorry to hear about your little dachshund. My guess is that she has been placed on a prescription diet. If this is the case it is probably contraindicated to feed anything else other than the prescription food. I am guessing that your goal is to acidify the urine with the cranberries. You should check with your veterinarian to see if this would be appropriate based upon her test results.

Good luck to you both!
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment