Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Border Collie/Poodle Licking Feet and Rear Constantly

Question

I have a mixed breed border collie/poodle who is incredibly smart and talented. As her mom, I feel incompetent and unable to solve this problem....she licks her feet and her rear over and over again.

 I have tried three vets, multiple medicines, steroid shots, food changes, stopping any chemicals on the lawn, etc. and she still does this.



I have been told it is atopic dermatitis, allergies, etc. The steroid shot stops the licking immediately, but the shot seems to wear off and I have heard it isn't good to give her shots frequently. I try not to have more
than 2-3 shots per year. Yet I feel horrible that I can't seem to fix the problem for her.



Right now I am trying Hills Prescription dry food plus a little canned food that is the Ultra allergy type and she seems a better but she also had a steroid shot and is taking fish oil capsules and an antihistamine and
another medication.

 I try to do a lot of trick teaching and not having any treats to give her stymies that project. I had used treats, then just bread, then cheese, anything that might not bother her but now I have been told not to use
anything with her.

Do you have any help for me?


Thank you very much.
JSG

Answer

Atopic dermatitis can be very frustrating. It sounds like your pup may also have a food allergy component if she is responding to the low allergen diet. You are correct about the steroid injections. I would not allow them to be given at all. If a steroid is required (if she is self-mutilating) I would ask the vet to give her oral prednisone instead as the dose can be adjusted down to the lowest amount needed to maintain remission. Food allergies are not very responsive to steroids, so that would put it lower on the list. If she is licking the top of her rear end above her tail, she is probably also allergic to fleas, although you will not see them
because she will eat them as soon as they bite her.

Cyclosporine (Atopica) is a much safer product than a steroid and it sounds like it would definately be worth trying in her case. Call around and find a vet that carries it or is willing to order it for you, pay them a visit and ask them if it seems appropriate for her."

Good luck to you and your pup,
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment