Monday, November 16, 2009

Shih Tzu with Dry Skin

Question

I have a beautiful little shih tzu who has very dry skin on her back. What can I do to help her with this problem? I feed her Iams dog food and give her only Iams treats. I do not give her people food. She drinks lots of water. I feel so bad for her because she digs at it all the time and the condition is very flakey. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Diana

Answer

Dear Pet Owner,
Without seeing her I can only make some assumptions-it sounds like she may have a skin allergy and is itching excessively. There are medications for this, sometimes allergy testing is needed to see what she is sensitive too. You are feeding her correctly. Make sure that she does not have fleas and is treated for them properly. She may also have some infection in her skin. She needs to visit her veterinarian to get the proper treatment for this condition.

Dr. Baeyens

No comments:

Post a Comment