Monday, November 16, 2009

Schnauzer Doing "Business" on Furniture

Question

Dear Dr. Baeyens,
I have 4 dogs living with me in my home. 3 schnauzers and 1 yorkie. all four get along well, all four are housetrained. one female schnauzer is 18 yrs., one female schnauzer is 8 months, one male schnauzer is 9 months, and the yorkie is a 7 year old female. My problem is with the male schnauzer, he constantly raises his leg on furniture even after just coming in from outside and doing his "business". I try to monitor him, scold him and put him outside to reinforce the fact that all "business" is only done outside. He is a rescue and I have had him since he was 4 months, he was removed from a home where the young children were too rough with him. He is a delightful pet and seems to like being with me and the other dogs. How can I break this bad habit?

Thank you for your response,
Sally in Pensacola

Answer

Dear Pet Owner,
The first question I have for you on the little "bad boy" schnauzer is-is he neutered?? If he is not, he has reached the age where he is marking his territory. That is a normal state of affairs for young male dogs-especially in a multi dog household. If he is not I would get that done ASAP. If he is neutered, then he needs some behavior training on learning his manners!!

Dr. Baeyens

No comments:

Post a Comment