Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Training Maltese to Use Leash

Question

Hi,
How do I get my 4 month old Maltese Missy use to a dog leash? She wears a little harness which is ok, she likes that, but once I attach the leash she flips out! She thinks I'm playing tug-o-war with her. I want to get her use to a leash in case I need to use one on her. Please help!



Thanking you in advance!

Margie

Answer

Margie,
You should start by attaching the leash to her harness and letting her pull it around until she gets used to it. Reward her if she does not "flip out". Gradually pick up the end and call her to you. When she comes to you without objecting, reward her. This is a gradual process and should be approached with a great deal of patience.

Good luck,
Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment