Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dog Going Inside the House

Question

I adopted a shih-poo in Jan and am having problems with her going in the house. When I first got her she did go pee out side all the time. She will not go poop out side at all since i got her. She not goes pee inside also. She will spend all day out side with me and when she comes in she will go in the house. This is really turning me off. I purchased pee pads 2 days ago and has used it once. this is causing a lot of stress for me. Hope you can help me. Her name is Molly and is a very sweet girl and get much enjoyment with her. She is as cute as they come.

Thank you Carol

Answer

Carol,


I am sorry you are having such problems with your little dog. Housetraining can be very frustrating. The trick is to reward the behavior that you want (pottying outside) when it occurs. Keep her in a kennel or tied to your beltloop (so that she cannot sneak off and potty in the house) at ALL times. Take her out often and reward her when she does go outside. Eventually she will figure out what you want her to do. If she starts to go in the house while she is tied to you, pick her up and let her finish outside, then give her a reward.



Good luck to you,

Sara F. Jennen DVM

No comments:

Post a Comment